Top Reviews: Honda Prelude Audi A5 Sportback Toyota Fortuner Audi Quattro Nissan Silvia Chevrolet Corvette Hyundai Verna

Porsche 918 Spyder

Vehicles badged as ‘Limited Edition’ always spark extreme interest. Porsche 918 Spyder is not exclusion. Rumors about the model have appeared long before it was actually launched. Nowadays some 918 people can call themselves the proud owners of a real masterpiece. The rest are left open-mouthed. Yet, don’t be upset if you couldn’t join the army of the lucky devils – Porsche 918 Spyder review gives you a chance to inspect the car in details.

Key Features

The Spyder is a two-seater sports car monocoque that combines only the best features of Porsche’s supercar heritage. The exterior looks organic and speaks of unprecedented performance: muscular fenders, outstanding air inlets & flowing curves allow the chassis to demonstrate record-breaking showings. Hence, the 918’s utmost speed equals to 344 km/h, while it needs just 2.6 seconds to accelerate up to 100 km/h!

The model is distinguished by a lightweight construction. It weighs 3715 pounds in basic trim and only 3616 in Weissach trim. This is due to the employment of a carbon fiber, composites and aluminum throughout the chassis. The other factor that added to the reduction is optimal weight distribution; 57% of it sits on the rear axle and the rest 43% - on the front one. Besides, the manufacturer has centered the gravity at the height of the wheel hubs, so that the car demonstrated an amazing traction.

Powertrain

The Spyder is a hybrid vehicle. This signifies that it uses various types of powertrains on different conditions. Thus, it is equipped with a 4.6-liter V8, estimated to provide 608 horsepower & 390 lb-ft of torque. In combination with a hybrid electric drive this engine provides for the output of 887 horsepower & 940 lb-ft of torque. The hybrid consists of two electric motors, located at the front (127 hp) and rear (154 hp) axles. The front one drives the car on electric power only, whereas the rear one unites the facilities with the engine.

The liquid-cooled electric motors run on lithium-ion batteries which can be fully charged for some 7 hours from a home socket and for 30 minutes from a dedicated fast charger. The engine is thought to send power to the rear wheels thanks to the included 7-speed PDK robotic transmission (dual-clutch).

Driving Modes

To continue with Porsche 918 Spyder review, it’s vital to mention that the model boasts 5 driving modes which can be switched from the steering wheel. The E-Power comes standard and runs on electricity only. In this mode the car can drive for 30 km at the top speed of 130 km/h. The Hybrid, as well as Sport Hybrid, uses mixed propulsion, prioritizing fuel consumption. Those modes take the power from the engine, but electric motors are activated in order to add some vigor. The Race Hybrid stipulates a permanent work of the engine, while the batteries are pushed to provide for the maximal capacity.

The Hot Lap is considered to be the most efficient mode. It pushes the car to the extreme performance thanks to the activation of all power resources. However, this driving mode can be used for short runs only (i.e. a couple of laps on the race road).

Cockpit Facilities

The Spyder is a driver-oriented car. There is little wonder that the cockpit is mainly adjusted for an ideal maneuverability. The fascia is divided into two sections: essential & non-essential controls. All essential controls are located on the multi-function steering wheel; they allow the driver to shift the modes, monitor performance and basic showings, and even switch the gears.

All non-essential controls are located on the user-friendly central console. The keys are called to adjust all facilities connected with convenience and connectivity. This console contains a touch-screen that allows browsing through menus and changing the settings. In addition, the dashboard includes an 8-inch touch screen, targeted for connectivity options.

Trim Levels

Porsche 918 Spyder comes in two trim levels: basic and Weissach. Basic package includes LED headlights, leather upholstery, 11-speaker Burnmester audio system, digital radio, electric door mirrors (+heating), a rearview camera, power windows & rain-sensing wipers. The Weissach package adds multi-point seatbelts, Alcantanra upholstery and various paintwork choices. Finally, both trims employ advanced safety features, including Stability Management System and all-round airbags (hear, side, thorax).

Popular Porsche Models:

Popular Brands:
© Cars-EVO.com 2016 - 2017