|Top Reviews: Alfa Romeo 159 Bentley Continental GT Mazda CX-5 SsangYong Rexton Nissan Xterra Pontiac Vibe Mini Cooper|
The history of Volvo automotive industry goes back to 1915 when a subsidiary of a ball-bearing manufacturer SKF was established. Nowadays a globally-known Swedish brand represents two companies at a time: the Volvo Group, a multinational producer of construction/marine equipment, buses & trucks, and Volvo Cars, a popular automaker. Both entities are headquartered from Gothenburg, although act as entirely standalone divisions.
As far as both companies have to share the same brand name, all outstanding issues are delegated to Volvo Trademark Holding AB. Its major activity is to maintain, license and preserve all Volvo trademarks on behalf of their owners. The holding is equally owned by Volvo Car Corporation and AB Volvo.
Lineup of Passenger Vehicles
In 1927 the very first car under Volvo brand was rolled off the production line at Hisingen plant – the OV 4. A year later, the company debuted on the truck market with Series 1 model that immediately drew attention far beyond the country. In the following years an already known manufacturer introduced its proprietary marine engines, aircraft engines & buses.
In 2000 Volvo Group decided to separate its car division and sold it to Ford Motor Company in a deal of 6.45$ billion. In 2010 Ford sold a Swedish automaker to Zhejiang Geely Holding of China. Still, Volvo has preserved its original Scandinavian image till these days. Its current lineup of cars boasts the availability of:
- sedans: S80, S60;
- SUVs/Crossovers: XC90, XC70, XC60;
- hatchbacks: V70, V60, V40;
- cross country: V60, S60, V40;
- concept (prototype): Concept Coupe, Concept Estate, Concept XC Coupe.
Volvo Cars team believe that all vehicles must be safe, high-quality and sustainable. With this idea in mind, skillful engineers keep on integrating the most advanced technologies and options into all new models. Here are only the most striking introductions:
- pedestrian airbag – the first ever mechanism that automatically releases the bag from under hood to cover the windscreen and lessen health impact of the pedestrian in case of collision;
- invented in 1959, a three-point seatbelt is still supposed to be the safest solution ever implemented within a passenger car. The seatbelts automatically respond within a few milliseconds after the collision; it was estimated that this invention has saved about 1 million lives over 50 years;
- forward collision warning system automatically scans all objects in front of a car within 150-meter area and warns the driver if a collision is imminent;
- park assist pilot – a true discovery for city dwellers who would like to save time on parking; the system helps in steering to the parking place and hints when to brake;
- blind spot assistant provides the driver with a total awareness of the objects around while changing the lanes;
- adaptive cruising control – a useful option that helps drivers keep distance to the cars ahead absolutely stress-free;
- CleanZone system takes care of a vehicle’s interior environment. It keeps track of the air quality within the saloon and closes vents to stop pollutants in;
- Drive-E powertrain technology is called to dramatically reduce fuel consumption and emissions.
Volvo Group Brands
Apart from passenger car industry, there are a lot more Volvo solutions produced under other brands. They comprise:
trucks: Mack (heavy trucks in the North American market), Renault (light and heavy units in the North American market), UD, Volvo (heavy commercial vehicles in the European market), Dongfeng (trucks in the Chinese market), Eicher (commercial vehicles in the Indian market);
buses: Sunwin (Chinese passenger buses), UD (innovative buses and coaches), Nova Bus (an advanced transit solution and an intelligent transportation system);
marine equipment: Volvo Penta (marine and industrial engines);
construction equipment: SDLG (construction machinery vehicles in the Chinese market), Terex (rigid haulers used in quarrying, mining, etc.).
Throughout the entire history of existence, Volvo has been introducing only the best safety measures. Hence, its current key mission is to stop injuries and deaths because of accidents by 2020. With this vision in mind, the company has integrated IntelliSafe system into each vehicle. It offers a strong support while driving, helps in preventing accidents and protects the driver if any issues occur.
Popular Volvo Models:Popular Brands: